After getting SO VERY CLOSE to being cast on season 8, 9, and 10 of the hit reality
TV show, The Biggest Loser, I realized a lot of things about myself. The most important being, how much I desperately want and need this. "This" being a healthy, whole, functional body.

My blog is intended to help me get accountable. Accountable to EVERYONE, family, friends, complete strangers and ultimately MYSELF. I have over 400lbs to loose in order to gain the FABULOUS life I was born to lead!!

I am SO EXCITED, nervous, embarrassed and determined. I will REJOICE with you in my accomplishments and confess to you any "falling off the wagon" I might do. I encourage EVERYONE to get out there and tell your friends about this blog. The more people that read and comment, the more accountable I create for myself! This is one of the HUGE aspects I love about the show. I would NOT have let America down! Now I just have to create my OWN America!! Post your own accomplishments, encouragement, questions, doubts etc. This blog is here for you too! Let's get this ball rolling! WE GOT THIS!!

Day one starts with "Dollar Store Lettuce..." click that red link, and then scroll past this intro. :)



Sunday, May 24, 2009

Conversations with a hero...

WOW! That is all I have to really say about today. WOW! So, many of you that follow me on Facebook or Twitter know that today was the day I got to talk to my Hero. Yes that's right! The FABULOUS Jillian Michaels (pictured at right). Just typing her name brings a tear to my eye. (Oh I am such a dork) How can someone help but to be in awe of the power this tiny woman posses that brings 400 even 500 lb men to their knees, BEGGING her to take away the pain!!! She just laughs at them and makes them run for 30 more seconds, ignoring their plees, tears and puke!

You HAVE to love her!!

All joking aside. I truly admire this woman. Everyday she gives 150% of herself in order to bring those around her into a better and more fulfilling life. My heros are people who constantly strive to give more of themselves than they expect to be given in return. Jillian embodies this principal. Thank you Jillian.

So here is how it played out! I was home from church today. I hadn't had $ to get my meds for over a week, so my poor feet were SO swollen, I couldn't even get my shoes on. So, home I was with a diuretic and frequent trips to the loo. (you really wanted to know all that...right?) I suddenly remembered that Jillian's radio show on KFI AM-640 aired live on Sundays. Something I rarely get to hear live, I just subscribe to the podcast. So off I went and caught the show 5 mins in. I had tried to call into the show before, but both times, she was answering email, not phone calls.

TODAY WAS MY DAY!

I got through and her producer Janice answered the ringing phone.
"Jillian Michaels Show. What's your question?"
(me, somewhat hi pitched and excited) "Janice?"
"Yes! Hi! Do you have a question for Jillian?"
"Oh my gosh! Hi!! Yes!!..." Insert a bit here about barely making it on BL8, and the reason for my call, and add in a pretty hefty dash of tears.

Janice put me right through, said it might be a bit before Jillian takes the call, but she would and to hold tight! I sat there on hold, getting more nervous as the seconds went on. Janice wasn't sure how many calls Jillian would take before me, so I thought I had a while to gain my nerves.

WRONG!

"Kristin! Welcome to KFI!!"

"AHHHH!!! Jillian!! HII!!"

I have NO idea what I said, or how much of a dork I sounded like, but lemme tell you, the adrenaline was flowing freely and I cannot be responsible for how I sounded. I might as well had 18 margaritas, and not the virgin kind. (and I don't drink...so that is saying A LOT!!) It's a bit foggy right now, but the entire call lasted for about 18 minutes. MOST of that was on the phone with Jill.

I started off with a bit about how much of an inspiration she is, how I barely missed being cast on BL season8 (which they JUST started filming last week) and then told her how much I weigh. THAT is when the floodgates opened.

My question went something like this...(i hope)

"I have read all the books, done all the diets, and have WAY too much information floating around in my brain. It has paralyzed me. Where do I start??? It is just SO overwhelming. I have done the organic thing, Adkins, blah blah blah...you have heard it all...Where do I start!!??"

Jill talked about the biggest loser and how people come to the Ranch with the same issue. She told me what she tells them.

"Start with the basics. You are not ready for ALL the information. You are trying to drive a Ferrari, when you don't even know how to drive! You need to start with a Toyota!"

(me) "Jill!! I can't even FIT into a Toyota!!"

(Jill) "You will be driving that Ferrari when I am done!" (or something like that)

It was a killer analogy. Did she KNOW that I was a car enthusiast? Nope. Did she know that I had been saying for the last 4 days, "I feel like I am just spinning my wheels!!" Nope. Her words were truly inspired whether she knows it or not.

Jillian goes on, "The Ferrari is an awesome car! But is it SUPER hard to drive! It's hard to handle, and terribly FAST! Not a car for a beginner. But MAN is it fun to drive! You need to start with the more reliable, slower Toyota. Then once you've mastered that, you can move on the Ferrari"

I have been reading her book Master Your Metabolism. Which after this conversation with her, I realize, might as well be the operators manual for the Ferrari Enzo. It is all about the things we eat and use in day to day life that affect our hormones. Plastics, pesticides, chemicals, antibiotics etc. VERY important things, but in the grand scheme, not for me at this point in the process. I have been trying to put this Supercar into first gear for YEARS...

It was live on the air, so when they post the podcast tomorrow (or tues) you can hear it. I will let you all know. :) I was the second or third call in I think. I AM SO EXCITED!! She is sending me her first book, "Winning By Losing" which is one I have wanted for a while now and just not had the money to spend on it. As well as some DVD's and a subscription to her website which I LOVED (i had a free trial) but also couldn't afford. YAYAY!! I am on cloud nine!!

Her advice to me?

1) to not worry about anything but the Math. Calories in Calories out. Don't worry about eating Organic, or about macro-nutrients etc. Just calories.
2) Walk 30 mins 5 times a week.

I CAN DO THAT!!

She said all the details would be explained in her book. What this experience helped me to realize is that at my weight, everything is SOOO basic. It was just about bringing me back down to a place where I felt I could HANDLE it, and giving me permission to start small!! That is what I needed to hear. I am sure had I contacted her about hitting a plateau or something, the call would have been a lot different: what are you eating, how many calories are you consuming, how often are you working out, etc. Right now, I just needed permission to start with an attainable goal. She gave me that along with the resources I need to start is AMAZING process! I can't wait to get my hands on that book!! I am going to be checking the mail EVERY day!

So as far as what tomorrow will bring:

I will be taking my coupons and heading to the store to buy good food. No more eating out, or eating crap. I will buy some bulk chicken, hamburger and pork chops. Some freezer bags and divvy everything up! I might even head over to Sam's Club! *GASP* I HATE shopping at Sam's because I have to walk 800 miles to buy 30 lbs of toilet paper! But the exercise will be good, and maybe I can save us some money!

I will also stock up on Lean Cuisines and Salad. Bell peppers, cukes and apples (all Jordan's favorite) I might even get some melons! I will have to cut them all up and portion them out though. If I leave them whole in the fridge, Jordan will hork them down. He would eat through a cantaloupe patch a day if it was available to him! I guess I shouldn't be complaining, but MAN! Fruit is NOT CHEAP!!!

Thanks for reading!! Have a safe Holiday!

12 comments:

  1. I am SOOOOOO excited for you! Happy shopping today & Happy memorial Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so wonderful Kristin! You were meant to talk to Jillian on the radio...I have complete faith in that and in you. Have a great shopping trip! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can do this!! So excited for you, Kristin!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yea! That is great you got on the air and now you are really, really accountable. Will she be checking in with you on a regular basis or are you going to keep calling into the show? Hopefully I didn't miss this in your writing, but maybe YOU should do a webcast every week about your experiences and we can all listen/watch them and provide moral support. And, some of your good habits will kick-over to some of us. (-:

    Good like. I am excited too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I AM SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO PROUD OF YOU!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Natalie?? Is that YOU!?! I hope so!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can not believe I was out of town and missed this!!!!I felt like I was on Surviver. No phone or computer! But, I am back and ready to diet with you. I shouldn't say diet because then my body wants everything it is not suppose to have. I WILL EXERCISE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Kristin, I just read your blog through the end of the Jillian podcast. By the way, you already ARE a Ferrarri!!! :)

    I've thought about trying to call in before, too, but assumed that the lines would be jammed all the time. I'm calling in next Sunday for sure!!!

    Anyway, my point is this! Congratulations for putting yourself out there. You'll be glad you did. And who knows, by the time NBC casts you, you might be in exact perfect striking distance of said "Ferrarri." YOU CAN DO IT!

    Just remember to blog about the periodical blowouts, and fix the single tires rather than slashing the other three, as Jillian also wisely analogizes. I'm going to grab 'Winning
    By Losing', as well. If I'm successful, I'll not be joining you on the cast BL 10 or whatever, cause I'm only about 110-120 lbs away from my goal.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The one time. THE ONE TIME that KFI is full of fail with posting those podcasts, and it's the one damned day I was out of town and didn't get to hear you live!
    I'm so bummed! I hope it was a wonderful, wonderful phone call, and I'll see you on the website!

    ReplyDelete
  11. p.s. I'm "Mountain Climbing Sue" on the website...forgot about my dorky alternate name with my google account, lol!
    Keep it up, kiddo!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow...that is so cool!! So glad you had that opportunity...that is so right, start small and just take it one step at a time...literally!!

    ReplyDelete